Checklist for Moving
This moving checklist is designed to keep you calm and composed on the days leading up to your move. Since most movers recommend around 8 weeks to fully prepare for a move, this gives you the ability to spread everything out and keep everything easily doable. With this checklist, you’ll have an easily viewable to-do list to help make sure you’re on the right track, and even remind you of things left to do. With the right planning, your move will go as smoothly as possible, and you’ll be able to start your future at your new home sooner and the right way!
8 to 6 Weeks Before Moving Date
- First thing’s first, create a budget for your moving expenses. Keep it in mind throughout the entire moving process.
- Look up moving companies in your area and begin gathering moving quotes.
- Create a folder (either physical or digital) and keep all moving related documents within it.
- Start off in your new home without all the clutter. Search through your belongings for things you won’t be needing anymore. Host a garage/online sale or give your items to charity to free up space.
- Arrange for any school or medical records to be transferred to your future location.
6 to 4 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Decide on a moving company and schedule your move. This is a very time dependent task. The sooner you call, the more dates will be available to you.
- Gather packing supplies such as boxes and wrapping paper. Liquor stores and Craigslist are a great source for free boxes. Dozens of daily posts offering free boxes can be found on Craigslist’s “Free” category.
- Notify your friends of your move. Let them know where they will be able to find you. Social media makes this a very simple task.
- Begin packing seasonal or infrequently used items.
- As you pack, label your boxes appropriately. Label any fragile items as such.
- Update any accounts about your future location. This includes banks, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, insurance, and utility companies.
4 to 2 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Continue packing and putting things into boxes. Don’t leave everything off until the last second.
- If downsizing, arrange for storage near your new home.
- Let the post office know of your upcoming move. You can go to the post office and do this in person or via their online form.
- Separate valuable items you’ll want to transport yourself.
- If you’re moving long distance, arrange for hotels to stay in.
- Using a floor plan of your new home, plan out where your furniture will go. This will help out the movers tremendously and save you time and money!
2 to 1 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Pack away most of your items, leaving only everyday necessities.
- Arrange plans for someone to be there during move day. Call to get the day off work if necessary.
- Rid your home of any flammable items that can’t be transported such as gasoline, aerosol cans, and some types of paint.
- If you have any pets, you’ll need to make transportation arrangements for them. Movers cannot move them for you.
Week Before Moving Date
- Have you and your family pack as if you’re going on a 2 day vacation. You will use this for when you arrive in your new home. It will give you time to relax in your new home instead of rummaging through boxes for your toothbrush and clothes.
- Make an inventory list of the items you will be moving.
- Call to reconfirm your move with your Denver moving company. Make sure you reconfirm your contact phone number, address, and date and the time of move.
- Clean out your safe deposit box if you’re switching bank locations.
- Do not discard your moving folder. This will be needed to verify moving expenses when filling your federal income tax return.
- Before leaving, go around your house and make sure everything is turned off, windows and doors are closed, and your keys are left behind.
- Remain attentive throughout the move. Answer any questions the movers may have.
- Help guide the movers to your new location.
- Sign the required paperwork.
- Take one last look at your house and prepare for your new life at your new home.
Free Moving Quote
Submit your review